Murphy’s Law: Every disaster is a Potential Adventure.

… or at least that’s what I keep trying to tell myself.

Unfortunately, I managed to book my flights back to Copenhagen right when a massive blizzard started trampling the East coast. My perfect plans to fly from Nashville to JFK, and JFK to Copenhagen started to fall apart in the wee hours of this morning

A hyggligt gathering, celebrating one of my best friend’s 21st birthday seemed like  perfect way to leave another semester at Vandy behind, but about midnight, I got an automated phone call informing me that my flight to JFK had been rescheduled to Wednesday. I panicked immediately, and started making calls, explaining that it was absolutely necessary to get to JFK by 8 pm. A very kind customer service lady managed to put me on an early morning flight to Ronald Reagan in DC, where I could take a shuttle to get a flight from Baltimore to JFK.

at 2 am I had worked out all the necessary details and booked a shuttle, handling things responsibly, like the adult I pretend that I am. I headed to the airport at 6 am, went through security without a hitch, and proceeded to fall asleep at my gate because I had been up late trying to fix canceled flights nonsense, so deeply asleep that I *ALMOST* missed my flight. My anxious personality had my fingernails chewed to nubs in minutes on my first flight.

When I landed in DC, I had a voicemail. My latest flight to JFK had been canceled, again I was scheduled to head out tomorrow. Despite my very concise explanation about why I needed to get to JFK TONIGHT, and my very obvious efforts to hold back tears, customer service basically told me there was no way in hell I was getting to JFK today.

Luckily, I happen to have family in DC, and after a call to them, they were on their way to pick me up, so I don’t have to sleep in an airport, which is always a terrible experience.

Not so luckily, I’ve learned that when you book flights through non-partnering airlines, they don’t have to honor delays or weather inconveniences that cause you to miss your flight, so I am currently in limbo as to whether or not I’ll be paying $500 extra dollars to get to Copenhagen. Also unluckily, I’m not entirely sure I’ll be able to get through immigration, because my temporary re-entry permit (issued to deal with the fact that my new residency permit had not yet arrive) expires on the 22nd of January, and I now won’t be getting to Copenhagen until the 23rd.

But, I’ve said before that I wanted an adventurous life, so I guess I got what I wished for so far. Never a dull moment, but wish me luck if you’re reading!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s